• Children should never be left unattended in or near a pool or any body of water (including a bath tub),
NOT EVEN FOR A MINUTE.
• Assign or designate a water watcher.
• Teach children and caregivers how to swim and learn basic swim safety instructions.
• If a child is missing, check the pool first.
• Install 4-sided isolation fencing around the pool, not just the yard.
• Use self-closing/latching gates, gate alarms, pool alarms, children’s personal alarms, door alarms,
& motion detecting devices.
• Install child proof doors and locks 54″ high on interior doors.
• Remove or lift and lock above ground pool ladders.
• Have rescue equipment on hand: Personal Floatation Devices (PFDs), Life Ring, Shepherds Hook.
• Check all drain covers for cracks, missing screws and make sure that they are CPSC Virginia Graeme Baker
(VGB) Pool & Spa Safety Act compliant.
• Teach all caregivers Infant, Child/Adult CPR, First Aid and Water Rescue Techniques.